After all the shortbread and the other holiday treats, it’s time to lay off the baking and return to healthier meals. I really like this quick and yummy soba noodle bowl. It’s vegan and gluten free… But if you want, you can add chicken, salmon, or prawns. It’s great for dinner and leftovers are good cold the next day. As my husband likes to say, it’s “so-bad it’s good”. The recipe is based on a recipe from the Oh She Glows recipe book.
Thai Peanut Sauce:
1 large garlic clove
2 tablespoons (30ml) toasted sesame oil
3 tablespoons (45ml) natural smooth peanut butter or almond butter
2 teaspoons (10ml) grated fresh ginger
3 tablespoons (45ml) fresh lime juice plus more as needed
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon (35ml) low-sodium tamari
1 teaspoon (5ml) granulated sugar
4 ounces (115g) gluten-free soba (buckwheat) noodles
Extra-virgin olive oil, for the noodles
1 to 1 1/4 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 seedless (english) cucumber, diced
1 carrot, julienned
4 green onions, chopped, plus more for serving
1/4 cup (60ml) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Sesame seeds, for serving
Serves 4 | Prep time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 5 to 9 minutes
1. Make the the Thai Peanut Sauce: In a mini or regular food processor, combine the garlic, sesame oil, peanut butter, ginger, lime juice, tamari, sugar, and 2 to 3 tablespoons (30-45ml) water. Process until combined.
2. Make the Salad: Cook the soba noodles according to the instructions on the package. Be sure not to overcook them – they should only take 5 to 9 minutes, depending no the brand. Drain the noodles and rinse them under cold water. Transfer the noodles to a large bowl and toss them with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil (this prevents the noodles from sticking together).
3. Add the edamame, bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, green onion, and cilantro to the bowl with the noodles and toss until well combined.
4. Pour your desired amount of the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. (Any leftover dressing will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.)
5. Portion into serving bowls and garnish each serving with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and some green onions. Serve any leftover dressing on the side.