On a cold and rainy day like today, soup was on the menu. Homemade soup tastes so much better, but I always feel like making soup is a daunting process. In reality, it’s pretty easy and well worth it. Tonight I made a roasted cauliflower, leek, and carrot soup – I found the recipe on Instagram (it’s courtesy of the Flourishing Foodie blog) and decided to try it out. It was yummy and easy to make, and I’ll make it again. The roasted cauliflower is the best part, so make sure you have plenty of it. Recipe is below…
1 large cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili flakes
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 leeks, chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp black pepper
10 cups of low sodium vegetable stock
2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 bunch of green onions, diced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place chopped cauliflower and garlic cloves on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, paprika, and chili flakes. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping the cauliflower half way through.
- in a large soup pot, fry the carrots, leeks, and black pepper with butter on low heat for 10 minutes, or until the leeks soften. Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Once the cauliflower is done, place half into the soup pot and set the rest aside. Cook the soup on low heat until the vegetables are very soft, roughly 30 minutes. Puree in a blender until smooth.
- Add the rest of the cauliflower pieces, the lemon juice, and parmesan cheese to the soup. Taste, and depending on preference, add a little salt if it tastes bland.
- Garnish with green onions, chili flakes, and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve warm. Store leftovers in the fridge.
2 thoughts on “Recipes: Roasted Cauliflower, Leek, and Carrot Soup”
Looks delish and extremely healthy!